Have you heard? Disney’s MULAN is now available on Disney+ with Premier Access! Beyond the familiar story and striking filmscapes, this movie offers much more for today’s families. If you are looking for supplemental lessons for your child’s virtual/hybrid learning time, go no further. Disney’s MULAN educational lessons are FUN ‘disguised’ as learning!
Disney’s MULAN No-Spoiler Synopsis
Disney’s live-action remake of this 1998 animated classic is finally released after months of pandemic delays. And its themes are appropriate for the turmoil around us. NOW is the perfect time for a warrior- not a princess. As Mulan’s father says, “There is no courage without fear.” Enter the 2020 more somber version of this Asian heroine.
Filmmaker Niki Caroased seems to more closely base this remake on the epic Chinese poem The Ballad of Hua Mulan, written in 500 AD. The story of a young girl who disguises herself as a male to go off to war remains the same.
Hua Mulan was born with special life energy, or “chi/qi.” She takes the place of her ailing father to go off to fight the Northern invaders. She risks everything and becomes Hua Jun.
- Breathtaking views of Chinese landscapes and ancient architecture. (This is especially welcome in our no-travel era!).
- Female empowerment. Despite the era- 100 AD- this gal would not “learn her place.” This theme seems more vivid in the live action film.
- Some kick-butt martial arts on display.
Take a look at some of the most powerful scenes:
- Sadly, 2020 could have used a few giggles. Gone are the humorous characters of Mushu and Mulan’s endearing grandma. (Yes, I need Eddie Murphy’s wisecracks.)
- Couldn’t we all use some uplifting music right now? I miss Donny Osmond belting “I’ll Make a Man Out Of You!”
- There is a new character, Xianyang Unfortunately, this “dark witch” may overly dark for some children.
- Likewise, some of the intense fighting scenes may be too intense for younger children. Hence, the PG-13 rating. (Which I feel is fairly accurate.)
You may dissuaded by the pricetag, PG-13 rating , or live-action format. Fact being, even if your family does not purchase Disney’s MULAN, there are valuable and timely lessons to be shared.
Disney’s MULAN Educational Lessons Packet
Like Mulan, WE are being tested. How do you teach your children to find their inner strength? To become COVID warriors and overcome our many challenges? These educational tools may guide you along the way.
Take the Journey
Be mindful. Plot your goals for success. What are you naturally good at? What obstacles stand in your way forward? Complete the “Chart Your Goal Journey” by downloading below.
Spirit of Nature
Nature is a healer. Get outdoors! Use it as inspiration to “Create Your Own Unique Landscape.” Directions found in the Disney’s MULAN Activity packet below!
Honor My Family
What makes your family special? Follow the guide to “Design Your Own Family Crest!”
Strength and Spirit
Find your own strength and spirit. Create your own poem for inspiration!
How else will your family survive the pandemic period? Seriously, use this series of “Mindful Mindset” exercises .
Coronavirus has delayed the opening weekend several times. However, its release perhaps could not have been timed better. Take this “down” time as an opportunity for discussion with your children. Grow. Be brave. Honor what you cherish most. Become a 2020 warrior!
Download the full packet of materials HERE!
Remember. “The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.” Especially for us movie-starved citizens of 2020…
Disney’s MULAN is now streaming on Disney Plus for $30 in the U.S. (In addition to the regular subscription fee.) It will be available for free streaming for those with membership starting December 4th.
Like MULAN on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WaltDisneyMulan
Follow MULAN on Twitter:https://twitter.com/DisneysMulan
Follow MULAN on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mulan/
Stream MULAN on Disney+ with Premier Access. (Disney+ subscription and additional fee required.)