Twenty years! Time for the annual tradition of bringing the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival home. I once again hit the kitchen and opened my copy of Passport to a World of Flavors. As I wrote in Pearls From Walt Disney World’s 40th Anniversary Celebrations, one of the many scrumptious festival selections stole the show for me. It’s no wonder that it remains on the Global Marketplace menu years later. I’d like to highlight Ireland’s Lobster and seafood fisherman’s pie. And share the recipe!
Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
Grab a Guinness and get to work!
Lobster and Seafood Fisherman’s Pie Recipe
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
2 lobster shells (meat removed)
1/2 cup tomato puree
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. brandy
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. crushed garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Lobster and Seafood Fisherman’s Pie:
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrot
3 1/2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. brandy
1 lb. bay scallops
1 qt. lobster bisque
1 lb. lobster meat, cooked and chopped
1/2 tsp. tarragon
1/8 tsp. hot sauce
2 cups Irish cheddar cheese, shredded
– Place butter and olive oil into large saucepan over medium heat.
– Saute onion and celery for 6-7 minutes until tender.
– Add lobster shells and tomato puree; cook for 1-2 minutes.
– Stir in flour; cook 1-2 minutes.
– Add brandy and stock; cook for 30 minutes. Stir and scrape bottom of pan during cooking.
– Pour in heavy whipping cream and bring to a boil; continue cooking for 15 minutes.
– Add cayenne pepper and garlic; stir to combine.
– Remove lobster shells.
– Place mixture into a blender and blend for 15-20 seconds. Scrape sides and blend for another 5 seconds.
– Strain the bisque through a fine strainer lined with cheesecloth to remove shell pieces.
– Pour bisque back into saucepan and heat over medium heat until it boils.
– Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
– Place potatoes into a large stockpot of boiling salted water.
– Cook over high heat for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
– Drain water and whip the potatoes with a hand-held mixer on low speed until soft.
– Add butter and whipping cream and mix until combined.
– Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Completing the Lobster and Seafood Fisherman’s Pie Recipe:
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
– Place butter and olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
– Saute the onions, celery, and carrots for 6-7 minutes or until tender.
– Add flour and stir until combined and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
– Stir in brandy and continue to stir while cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
– Add scallops and lobster bisque and stir to combine. Continue to cook for another 8-10 minutes until mixture comes to a boil.
– Stir in the cooked lobster, tarragon, and hot sauce and combine.
– Season to taste with salt and pepper.
– Pour mixture into 3-quart baking dish. (I choose ramekins to more closely mimic my Epcot experience.)
– Top and cover the entire dish with mashed potatoes.
– Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
– Cook for approximately 25 minutes. (I wisely choose to place dishes on a baking sheet first. These babies ooze goodness!!)
Back to that Guinness. I paired the dish with my Irish Soda Bread and the Irish liquid gold.
If you get to Ireland’s Global Marketplace this year, these are the other choices you may have to weigh. Of course, change is good. So here’s to the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival in 2020!
– Kerrygold cheese selection: Reserve cheddar, Dubliner with Irish Stout and Skellig.
– Warm chocolate pudding with Kerrygold Irish Cream Liqueur Custard
– Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale
– Bunratty Meade Honey Wine
– Chilled Irish Coffee featuring Bunratty Potcheen
– Kerrygold Irish Cream Liqueur
Other Festival Recipes
If you’d like to take a taste tour of other countries, grab your fork and passport and head to:
Aloha! Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayo | Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Hawai’i